HPI – Himpunan Pramuwisata Indonesia
Indonesian Tour Guide Association – ITGA
Himpunan Pramuwisata Indonesia (HPI) or Indonesian Tourist Guide Association (ITGA) was established as a result of Himpunan Duta Wisata Indonesia (HWDI) Convention at Pertamina Cottages Kuta Beach Bali Indonesia March 27, 1983. This first national convention was initiated by Joop Ave, Former Minister for Tourism, Post and Telecommunication of Indonesia Republics. The convention was attended by nine provincial guide association and Bali Guide Association as the host. During the Second Convention of Indonesian Tourist Guide Association October 05, 1988 at Palembang City – South Sumatera HDWI had been replaced into HPI (Himpunan Pramuwisata Indonesia).
HPI is the official association of Tourist Guides in Indonesia. The National Board of HPI so called DPP (Dewan Pimpinan Pusat), Provincial Board is DPD (Dewan Pimpinan Daerah) and Regency Board is DPC (Dewan Pimpinan Cabang). DPP HPI currently coordinates 23 DPD HPI, 70 DPC HPI with total members of 12,000 professional tourist guides throughout Indonesia Republics.
HPI – Himpunan Pramuwisata Indonesia or Indonesian Tourist Guide Association (ITGA) is a non profit, non political association which groups together, around Indonesia Republics, a Licensed and Individual Tourist Guides, Honorary Members who have direct attention with Tourist Guide Professionalism.The HPI’s main purpose is to group, promote and ensure that tourist guides are recognized as the ambassadors of their country. Besides HPI purposes to be active in research and tourism development, and as the vehicle to voice out their members’ guide fees and social welfares. HPI offers services to our members but also communicates to those in search of the services of professional area specific tourist guides and where to hire them, as well as actively to promote our members’ professionalism to industry partners worldwide.
The day-to-day running of the HPI is the responsibilities of the executive board of DPP, DPD, DPC whose members are elected by delegates of the members for a 4 year period at each Convention. To take a position on the Executive Board one has to know that such a position means complete involvement, dedication and many hours of work. Executive Board Members who are elected must be actively practicing tourist guides who are not tour operators, or tourist guide employers. The official language of the Himpunan Pramuwisata Indonesia is Bahasa Indonesia. However the HPI 2006-2010 Executive Board represents the following languages: English, Dutch, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Russia, Korean, Chinese.
The Himpunan Pramuwisata Indonesia is dedicated and committed;
- To establishing contact with tourist guide members of Indonesia, tourism training institutes and to reinforcing their professional ties;
- To representing professional tourist guides nationally and to promoting and protecting their interests;
- To enhancing the image of the profession and promoting the use of area specific local tourist guides in all provinces of Indonesia;
- To promoting a universal code of ethics and skills to raising, encouraging and establishing the highest standards of professionalism;
- To developing national –international training, and improving the quality of guiding through education and training;
- To facilitating the exchange of information between members.